Preventive Pediatric Dentistry
Preventive Pediatric Dentistry in Lexington KY
Whether your toddler has a mouth full of teeth or only a few poking through, it’s never too soon to start thinking about how to keep your child’s adorable smile healthy. Sure, baby teeth don’t hang around forever (they generally start to fall out by age 6 or 7), but it’s still important to keep those tiny teeth and gums in tip-top shape while they’re saving the spots for grown-up teeth.
Star Kids Dentistry provides positive pediatric dental experiences to children from all communities in Lexington, KY. Since each patient is unique, our children’s dentist, Dr. Megan Jackson is committed to tailoring preventive dentistry treatment plans to fit every child’s individual needs. We consider every patient’s individual needs and experiences when developing a treatment plan and will work with you to guarantee the best treatment plan for your child.
We offer many different techniques, including in-office general anesthesia, in-office non-IV conscious sedation, nitrous oxide, and SDF, to reduce your child’s anxiety and discomfort during dental visits. Our friendly dental staff will ensure your child has a comfortable and positive experience at Start Kids Dentistry.
What is Preventive Pediatric Dental Care?
Preventative pediatric dentistry is the foundation of dental care and comes with several benefits, including:
- Reduce the risk of cavities: Preventive pediatric dentistry is crucial in preventing cavities and tooth decay in children. Your dentist can ensure that your child’s teeth are completely healthy and address any potential problems early on during your regular dental appointments.
- Create positive dental experiences for kids: Pediatric dentistry not only provides exceptional dental care to patients, but it allows these experiences to be fostered in a fun, safe, and secure environment. These early visits help create positive dental experiences and reduce dental fear later in life as an adult.
- Create dental habits that will last a lifetime: As your child grows, your dentist will help you teach your child proper preventive care methods to encourage a lifetime of good dental health.
What Happens at a Pediatric Dentist Appointment?
Here’s what you can expect when you bring your kid for a dental appointment at Star Kids Dentistry in Lexington, KY:
- Check-in: A routine experience at Star Kids Dentistry begins with you being greeted as you enter the office! We’ll then check you in and take you to Hygiene Bay, where your child will sit in a chair that is the color of the rainbow.
- X-rays: Dental x-rays of teeth are essential for detecting tooth decay, gum disease, infection, and many other dental diseases. Most of all these problems are difficult or impossible to detect without an x-ray. The process is quick, painless, and safe.
- Teeth cleaning and exam: We do a thorough cleaning at every dental exam to remove any debris that regular brushing at home couldn’t get rid of. Dr. Jackson will then count your baby’s teeth and examine the gums, lips, tongue, and the inside of the cheeks for any issues. We will give you the chance to ask any questions you may have about your child’s oral health and schedule the next appointment. Your child will get a goodie bag, a toy, and a sticker at the end of the appointment!
How Does Pediatric Preventive Dentistry Differ from Adult Preventive Dentistry?
Pediatric dentistry is a form of preventive dentistry that provides specific dental care for developing teeth, while adult preventive dentistry focuses on ensuring that adult permanent teeth and gums are healthy. Pediatric dentists have to undergo more training than general dentists to ensure they provide children with safe and effective services. Pediatric Dentistry allows for utilizing behavioral techniques such as tell-show-do, positive reinforcement, and voice control that help create a fun, safe, and secure atmosphere while providing positive dental experiences for our young patients.
How Often Should Kids Visit a Pediatric Dental Office?
Children should visit their pediatric dentist twice a year. These visits should begin within six months of an infant’s first tooth eruption. However, Dr. Jackson may recommend more frequent visits if your child has dental issues like cavities and gum disease.
Kid’s Preventive Dental Care Cost
Insurance typically covers the cost of preventive pediatric dentistry.
Schedule Your Children’s Dentist Appointment Today!
At Star Kids Dentistry, our goal is to build a foundation for our patients to achieve healthy smiles that last a lifetime. Dr. Jackson has extensive experience with pediatric dentistry and our kid-friendly office will help ensure your child feels at ease at our practice. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!